Serbian authorities expect negotiations to continue with Kosovo-Albanian authorities in two to three months and are ready for compromise solutions, said President Alexander Vučić after meeting with US State Department Special Representative Matthew Palmer.
Palmer makes a tour of the Balkans, during which he had previously visited Pristina and held meetings with Kosovo Albanian politicians, as well as representatives of small parties in Kosovo Serbs. On Monday, he had a conversation with Serbian President Vučić behind closed doors, after which they made statements to the media.
“I’m sure that on the issue of Kosovo and Metohija we will soon reach the conditions, in two or three months, to continue the dialogue. We want the dialogue to be serious, responsible, leading to a compromise solution”, — the Serbian President said after the meeting.
«Serbia is ready to compromise, but is not ready to humiliate, belittle its own people in Kosovo and Metohija and throughout the state», — Vučić said.
In 1999, the armed confrontation of Albanian separatists from the Liberation Army of Kosovo and the army and police of Serbia led to the bombing of Yugoslavia (at that time consisting of Serbia and Montenegro) by NATO forces.
In March 2004, Kosovo Albanians staged pogroms, which led to the mass resettlement of Serbs from the region and the destruction of numerous monuments of their history and culture. On February 17, 2008, the Kosovo-Albanian structures in Pristina unilaterally declared independence from Serbia. The self-proclaimed republic is not recognized by Serbia, Russia, China, Israel, Iran, Spain, Greece and a number of other states.